Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least

+3
Hoyt1986
nebling
JC-XT
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least Empty All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least

Post by JC-XT Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:51 am

I shot my bow for about an hour yesterday for the first time since last December. I put a new G5 Optix LE sight on it after the season and I've been anxious to sight it in. It was so nice to get out to the farm and shoot the bow, nice and peaceful and I was able to sight it in out to 50 yards with less than 20 arrows. I didn't set the 60 yard pin because I only had a small block target with me and I didn't want to take the chance of losing an arrow in the tall grass, I'll wait until I can shoot out of a stand on my buddy's property where the grass is mowed short.

I spent more time practicing than I did sighting in, so it was nice and relaxing. I had forgotten how much I like shooting my bow. I also found a couple of old Slick Trick 100 grain Magnums that I had from several years ago. They were in the accessory box for my old bow so I took them with me to shoot. MAN!!! I had forgotten how bad those things hiss when you shoot them. I was in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't much wind so I could hear them hissing loudly all the way to the target. Now I remember why I switched back to Muzzy 100's.

The weather has finally improved here in Illinois, so I think it's time to get the guys together and start shooting on the weekends. That will save me a bunch of money if I do that instead of wasting it on greens fees at the golf course.
JC-XT
JC-XT
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least Empty Re: All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least

Post by nebling Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:55 am

Sounds like a good time Jack! But you know those 60yd shots are UNETHICAL!!!

All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least 527368

also, How DARE you knock the almighty ST's!!! affraid
nebling
nebling
Admin

Back to top Go down

All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least Empty Re: All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least

Post by Hoyt1986 Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:58 am

nebling wrote:Sounds like a good time Jack! But you know those 60yd shots are UNETHICAL!!!

Slick tricks are unethical.... All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least 824233
Hoyt1986
Hoyt1986

Back to top Go down

Post by JC-XT Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:18 am

nebling wrote:Sounds like a good time Jack! But you know those 60yd shots are UNETHICAL!!!

Well, after not shooting my bow for about 4 months a 60 yard shot probably would be unethical for me. My 50 yard groups weren't as good as they were last year when I was shooting a lot. My 20 and 30 yard groups were baseball sized, my 40 yard groups were softball sized, but my 50 yard groups were almost the size of a paper plate...so I need some practice. I never shoot at the same dot because I hate to ruin arrow, but I did yesterday after I set my 40 yard pin and of course I hit an arrow and ruined it. I took a big sliver of carbon out of it and knocked the fletching off. So I'm down to four of those arrows now. I have 6-7 lighter arrows, but light arrows are REALLY UNETHICAL so I don't want to mess with them this year. Laughing

I'm not sure what to do about the Slick Tricks, I hate that hissing sound they make. I was going to buy more but that noise is why I went back to Muzzies the last time I tried them. I know people say the deer don't react to the sound, but it irritates me.
JC-XT
JC-XT
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nebling Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:22 am

Try the G5 Strikers! Awesome replaceable blade heads!
nebling
nebling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JC-XT Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 am

nebling wrote:Try the G5 Strikers! Awesome replaceable blade heads!

If G5 would make a four blade Montec I would stand in line to buy them. I love the way the Montec looks and shoots, a 4th blade would seal the deal for me.

At the end of the day I'll probably end up shooting 100 grain Muzzy three blades again. I've had pretty decent success with them and they're quiet. Plus I'm really cheap and I probably have over a dozen of them left.

I like to be able to shoot out to 60 yards, but in reality the places I'll be hunting this year probably don't allow for more than a 30-40 yard shot at the most anyway. But after shooting out to 50-60 yards all summer it makes those 40 yard shots seem like chip shots.
JC-XT
JC-XT
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoyt1986 Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 am

JC-XT wrote:

I know people say the deer don't react to the sound, but it irritates me.

No see, I disagree with that i believe deer react more to the sound of your arrow wizzing in the air then the actual sound of your bow (of course if you shoot a mathews then it is vic-versa Shocked ) Anyways, you know if you stand down range from somebody shooting you can here the ARROW WIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ by before the actual sound of the bow goes thump!!! And i rarely hear the bow (of course this agian excludes a mathews)....
Hoyt1986
Hoyt1986

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:26 pm

LOL< no sound from my tricks, are the old magnums different?
sounds likeyou had a good time JC.
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JC-XT Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:52 pm

jkcerda wrote:LOL< no sound from my tricks, are the old magnums different?
sounds likeyou had a good time JC.

I think all the 1 1/8 inch Slick Tricks make that noise, some people don't notice it but I sure do. That's why I forgot I had two new packs of them in my old bow case, I couldn't stop using them fast enough. I think I bought 9, used 3 on deer, a coyote, and I think a raccoon, then I stopped using them.

It probably didn't matter when I was shooting my old PSE, since it sounded like a .22 going off compared to my XT. But my MATHEWS is so quiet that the Tricks are even more noticeable.

You want to buy mine Juanny? I have five brand new ones and a sixth that was only shot into a target a few times.
JC-XT
JC-XT
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:02 pm

umm, shot me a price.
never shot the magnums, I like the original ones.
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JC-XT Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:15 pm

jkcerda wrote:umm, shot me a price.

I have heard the standards aren't as noisy. But the shop where I bought them from only had the mags back then so that's what I bought. Plenty of guys use them and love them so the hiss must not be that big of a deal.

Maybe they just hiss so badly when I shoot them because I have really good hearing trained to keep my wife from sneaking up on me to read what I type on here, plus my Mathews is sooooo quiet, and of course its a SBXT so it's blazing fast. tongue

They do fly good, but they I don't think they are any better than a bunch of other broadheads out there today. I'll probably use them on does this year, unless you want to make me an offer I can't refuse.
JC-XT
JC-XT
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:16 pm

JC-XT wrote:

I have heard the standards aren't as noisy. But the shop where I bought them from only had the mags back then so that's what I bought. Plenty of guys use them and love them so the hiss must not be that big of a deal.

Maybe they just hiss so badly when I shoot them because I have really good hearing trained to keep my wife from sneaking up on me to read what I type on here, plus my Mathews is sooooo quiet, and of course its a SBXT so it's blazing fast. tongue

They do fly good, but they I don't think they are any better than a bunch of other broadheads out there today. I'll probably use them on does this year, unless you want to make me an offer I can't refuse.
how does a lap dance sound?
from Mark of course, he is closer to you Razz .

umm, let me think about it.
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JC-XT Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:20 pm

jkcerda wrote:
JC-XT wrote:

how does a lap dance sound?
from Mark of course, he is closer to you Razz .

umm, let me think about it.

If you've been using the standards and are happy with them you should probably keep on using those. Most people seem to think they fly a little better and are quieter, but the magnums just give you a little more cutting area.
JC-XT
JC-XT
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:26 pm

cool, hows the little one doing?
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nebling Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Well, If your shot hits the intended mark, I'm happy with my 1" diameter Montecs! They've never let me down in two years now, and I'm still using the same three BH's after five kills!
nebling
nebling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:32 pm

nebling wrote:Well, If your shot hits the intended mark, I'm happy with my 1" diameter Montecs! They've never let me down in two years now, and I'm still using the same three BH's after five kills!
how well do they fly?
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneaky Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:33 pm

JC-XT wrote:...its a SBXT so it's blazing fast. tongue

Laughing
Sneaky
Sneaky

Back to top Go down

Post by nebling Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:33 pm

jkcerda wrote:
nebling wrote:Well, If your shot hits the intended mark, I'm happy with my 1" diameter Montecs! They've never let me down in two years now, and I'm still using the same three BH's after five kills!
how well do they fly?

PERFECT! All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least 879581

I won't use any other BH!
nebling
nebling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JC-XT Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 pm

jkcerda wrote:
how well do they fly?

Montecs are really accurate, that's why I wish they would make a four bladed version.
JC-XT
JC-XT
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nebling Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:36 pm

JC-XT wrote:
jkcerda wrote:
how well do they fly?

Montecs are really accurate, that's why I wish they would make a four bladed version.

Why are you SO hung up on the four blades Jack? My three blades get the job done! All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least 879581

I shot my last deer this year STRAIGHT through the spine, and the BH was unscathed!
nebling
nebling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JC-XT Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:40 pm

nebling wrote:
JC-XT wrote:
jkcerda wrote:
how well do they fly?

Why are you SO hung up on the four blades Jack? My three blades get the job done! All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least 879581

I shot my last deer this year STRAIGHT through the spine, and the BH was unscathed!

I don't know, I've shot 3 blade Muzzies my entire life and I'm really satisfied with how they put deer on the ground. I just like the idea of having a 4th blade cutting an additional trail through a deer.

I almost bought Montecs last year, but since I had so many Muzzies I couldn't justify spending over ten bucks per head on them. I never found a good deal anywhere so I didn't buy any. I like the idea of a solid head though.
JC-XT
JC-XT
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:41 pm

4 blades = more cutting area, not that you need it, but it sure is nice, the buck I shot was squirting blood,.
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nebling Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:41 pm

JC-XT wrote:

I don't know, I've shot 3 blade Muzzies my entire life and I'm really satisfied with how they put deer on the ground. I just like the idea of having a 4th blade cutting an additional trail through a deer.

I almost bought Montecs last year, but since I had so many Muzzies I couldn't justify spending over ten bucks per head on them. I never found a good deal anywhere so I didn't buy any. I like the idea of a solid head though.

Let me know, I have TWO un-opened packs of 100gr Montecs, I'll work a special price out for you! cheers afro
nebling
nebling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nebling Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:42 pm

jkcerda wrote:4 blades = more cutting area, not that you need it, but it sure is nice, the buck I shot was squirting blood,.

How do you figure? The diameter is the same, it just adds one more slice within that diameter. Explain why the Two Blade SF's are so good then? All Was Right With The World...For A Little While At Least 183542
nebling
nebling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:43 pm

muzzy makes a 4 blade, I wonder how good it flies, I never got my muzzy's to fly good out of the apex or brute, I gave them to Mark, 2 new PKG's, had one laying around & shot it with my Guardian,,they flew beutiful, tried a FOB same deal.
guess i set up my guardian a bit better than the other bows.
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum