Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite stand location?

+5
maclss1
Illustrator
Hoyt1986
Q!!
archer1983
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favorite stand location? Empty Favorite stand location?

Post by archer1983 Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:23 am

Wondering where you guys like to set-up in the fall for a good ambush?

Personally I think nothing beats an oak ridge leading to a field! Smile
archer1983
archer1983
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Favorite stand location? Empty Re: Favorite stand location?

Post by Q!! Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:32 am

Ummmmmmmm, I wouldn't know.

What I meant to say is I have never hunted in a stand, and have nevwer hunted whitetail in the east, so I would sound silly posting on this subject. Sorry Brad.

Last edited by Q!! on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Q!!
Q!!
Founding Member

http://www.starrflight.com

Back to top Go down

Post by archer1983 Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:34 am

Q!! wrote:Ummmmmmmm, I wouldn't know.

I know you dont use treestands.

Just modify your reply.
archer1983
archer1983
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Favorite stand location? Empty Definately CREEK BEDS!!

Post by Hoyt1986 Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:50 am

Personally i have a fetish for hunting over creeks bc where there is creeks you ALWAYS have fertile ground which produces PLENTY of oaks and other foods sources near by, OOOO yea dont forget WATER ALSO.........bc down here is louisiana it is HOTTTTTT!!!!!!
Hoyt1986
Hoyt1986

Back to top Go down

Post by Illustrator Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Most of where I hunt on state land doesn't have crops within a few miles, so the deer behave differently than in some areas. Furthermore, you don't have much terrain, so the deer just go EVERYWHERE. I try to key on old rub lines and match those against the heavily used trails and set up where I can ideally hit those trails and have a good shot toward rub lines... after that, I pray. Typically in the early season I'll try to take a doe (since that is what I see mostly), and once the rut heats up, I have better chances at bucks.

I also try to see where the deer enter the field at the farm, and set up based on what I'm seeing. We also have a decent rub line in the fencerow, so I plan on setting up a morning stand to intercept the bucks traveling that corridor.
Illustrator
Illustrator
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by archer1983 Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Illustrator wrote:Most of where I hunt on state land doesn't have crops within a few miles, so the deer behave differently than in some areas. Furthermore, you don't have much terrain, so the deer just go EVERYWHERE. I try to key on old rub lines and match those against the heavily used trails and set up where I can ideally hit those trails and have a good shot toward rub lines... after that, I pray. Typically in the early season I'll try to take a doe (since that is what I see mostly), and once the rut heats up, I have better chances at bucks.

I also try to see where the deer enter the field at the farm, and set up based on what I'm seeing. We also have a decent rub line in the fencerow, so I plan on setting up a morning stand to intercept the bucks traveling that corridor.

Good plan. Favorite stand location? 879581
archer1983
archer1983
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Illustrator Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:58 pm

I'll let you know how good come mid-November Suspect

I'm just hoping to take something with at least 4 points on one side. I've seen em around, just never been able to put one on the ground. I had a NICE 8 come in at about 12 yards last year... stayed bhind the bruch the whole time. Following 4 does... Coulda shot the big doe sooo many times, but dammit, I wanted that buck! Learned a lesson about being greedy, I did...
Illustrator
Illustrator
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Q!! Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:38 pm

archer1983 wrote:
Q!! wrote:Ummmmmmmm, I wouldn't know.

I know you dont use treestands.

Just modify your reply.

Modify my reply?????????? Why????? Favorite stand location? 183542
Q!!
Q!!
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maclss1 Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:44 pm

ground blind 5 yards from the feeder! affraid
maclss1
maclss1
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by archer1983 Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:57 pm

Q, a stand doesnt have to mean 20 feet up in a tree.....is there somewhere else you like to hunt even if its from the ground?
archer1983
archer1983
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Q!! Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:00 pm

Sorry if I offended you guys that hunt in a stand if I did. I was just simply stating I did not know about stand locations. I edited my above post so as to please Brad.

Last edited by Q!! on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q!!
Q!!
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:02 pm

maclss1 wrote:ground blind 5 yards from the feeder! affraid
there you go.
perfect for a shot IDF.
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Illustrator Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:05 pm

Juan, what kind of setup do you have? Ground blind? hang-on? Having lived there, but never hunted, I'd like to see pics of your area and what your approach is. Also, do you see a lot of deer? How big are the bucks there, weight-wise?
Illustrator
Illustrator
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maclss1 Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:13 pm

Illustrator wrote:Juan, what kind of setup do you have? Ground blind? hang-on? Having lived there, but never hunted, I'd like to see pics of your area and what your approach is. Also, do you see a lot of deer? How big are the bucks there, weight-wise?

now you know he is going to say they are huge over there, only cuz he's like 2ft tall. cheers
maclss1
maclss1
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:17 pm

Illustrator wrote:Juan, what kind of setup do you have? Ground blind? hang-on? Having lived there, but never hunted, I'd like to see pics of your area and what your approach is. Also, do you see a lot of deer? How big are the bucks there, weight-wise?

I am just as experinced as mark is, you boys have seen deer on a constant basis, it took me a while to even find deer, 2 years to get my first buck, I hate but was succesfull out of a tree stand, i like walking trying to spot & stalk, proble has been I have never seen any deer with this approach.

i saw a decent buck 2 x 2 for the area where I hunt, seeing hte racks that you guys have displayed makes me jealous, weight wise,they are ok.
now the biggest deer that has come out of the area that I hunt in was a 3 x 3, and nowhere near the racks that you guys have displayed in pics.
that just means that.
a: we suck at hunting.
b: the area that I hunt in (san dimas) is not that great.

there are better areas with nice & bigger deer, but they are 3-4 hrs away, VS 20 mins.

here is a cropped pic of my buck after I started dragging it back,,you can almost see the bamby collar Laughing
Favorite stand location? Myfistdeer
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:17 pm

maclss1 wrote:

now you know he is going to say they are huge over there, only cuz he's like 2ft tall. cheers

LMAO. Favorite stand location? 527368 Favorite stand location? 527368 .

yes, they are huge to me.
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Illustrator Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:56 pm

Juan, I got a doe my first year and a 3 point buck my second year bowhunting. Third year I got a doe and last year... nothing with the bow Crying or Very sad

That buck I got was pretty big... 1 1/2 years old and probably 180 pounds live weight...

Best buck I've gotten was my first deer ever, and that was a 5 point with a 10" inside spread (with my shotgun... 160 yards, baby!). Nice for a 1 1/2 year old, but nothing to write home about according to the trophy hounds.

However, be proud of what you got! A deer with a bow is a trophy, no matter the size.
Illustrator
Illustrator
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maclss1 Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:00 pm

man, i wish i had pics of my axis buck that i shot with my recurve, it was my first "big game" kill....

the only thing i have shot with my new bow were those hogs...

but yes, any animal shot with a bow is a trophy, unless you used feeders and hunted behind a HF. clown
maclss1
maclss1
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by archer1983 Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:38 pm

maclss1 wrote:man, i wish i had pics of my axis buck that i shot with my recurve, it was my first "big game" kill....

but yes, any animal shot with a bow is a trophy, unless you used feeders and hunted behind a HF. clown

that would be cool, esp. if it was 86 yards.

END OF STORY!
archer1983
archer1983
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoyt1986 Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:38 pm

maclss1 wrote:man, i wish i had pics of my axis buck that i shot with my recurve, it was my first "big game" kill....

MAn we think unlike hunting in a high fence IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UNETHICAL!!!!! who in ther right mind would do that, surley not any of us!!!!!!...................I mean a high fence is like shooting a deer on a leash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT i wish i hat the luxury of hunting a high fence bc trust me my AZZZZZZZZZZZ would DO IT!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Hoyt1986
Hoyt1986

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Illustrator wrote:Juan, I got a doe my first year and a 3 point buck my second year bowhunting. Third year I got a doe and last year... nothing with the bow Crying or Very sad

That buck I got was pretty big... 1 1/2 years old and probably 180 pounds live weight...

Best buck I've gotten was my first deer ever, and that was a 5 point with a 10" inside spread (with my shotgun... 160 yards, baby!). Nice for a 1 1/2 year old, but nothing to write home about according to the trophy hounds.

However, be proud of what you got! A deer with a bow is a trophy, no matter the size.

I know sweet cheeks, what i kind of mean is that you guys see deer all the time, I dont, at least not where i have been going to hunt, i need to find better spots thats for sure.
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JC-XT Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:51 pm

[quote="jkcerda
I know sweet cheeks, what i kind of mean is that you guys see deer all the time, I dont, at least not where i have been going to hunt, i need to find better spots thats for sure.[/quote]

What happened to the "gayban"? Referring to another guy as sweet cheeks is offensive to my super-heteroness.

Location is always the key to good hunting, if you have a good spot you should have good success. But there's only so much you can do if you're hunting marginal ground.
JC-XT
JC-XT
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jkcerda Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:53 pm

LOL, and you fell for that?

wait, aprils fools was yesterday ,,hhha.
jkcerda
jkcerda
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by archer1983 Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:58 pm

jkcerda wrote:
Illustrator wrote:Juan, I got a doe my first year and a 3 point buck my second year bowhunting. Third year I got a doe and last year... nothing with the bow Crying or Very sad

I know sweet cheeks, what i kind of mean is that you guys see deer all the time, I dont, at least not where i have been going to hunt, i need to find better spots thats for sure.

I was unaware there were even deer in California....

I thought hunting was outlawed there. Favorite stand location? 183542

I couldnt live there I would kill those freaking tree huggers.
archer1983
archer1983
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post by old graybeard Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:20 am

I have one spot that I really like. It's in an Oak tree in a small pothole that sits out along one edge of an over grown CRP field, half way between a good bedding area and an orchard. This field is hilly and covered with high grasses and weeds and the deer will travel through it at all hours of the day because they are well hidden. The good part is I own it Very Happy and since buying it a couple years ago I have taken three good bucks from that same tree.
old graybeard
old graybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next